Genre Research: Romantic Comedy

Common Camera angles, movements, and shots:
  • Close up
  • Long shot
  • Establishing shot
  • Medium shot
  • Two shot
  • High angle
  • Low angle
Common Mis-en-Scene:
  • Normal clothes for costumes
  • Bright, cheery lighting
  • They leads act nervous around each other
  • Plain makeup to simulate normal life
  • Props could be a wedding ring, flowers, or a love letter
  • Set in a big city.
Common Editing
  • Insert
  • Fade in and Fade out
  • Shot Reverse Shot
  • Cross cut
  • Split Screen
Common Sound:
  • Diegetic sound
  • Non-Diegetic sound
  • Sound Motif
  • Sound Bridge
  • Dialogue
  • Voiceover
Example Films:
  • Heartstopper
  • 13 Going On 30
  • How to Lose a Guy in 10 days
  • Clueless
  • Flipped
  • To All the Boys I love Before
I like the sound motifs for a character or emotion in the film, along with the voiceovers to explain a character's feelings. I also like the close ups and two shots, as they can effectively create meaning in very simple ways.

I do not like the plain costumes and makeup, because it feels boring and uncreative. I also do not like the awkward acting, because it makes for uncomfortable moments. I also do not like the split screen, as it can look very strange, jarring, and amateur, and brings me out of the movie.

Comments